Blog # 180...August, 2026
Thanks to all of you who told me that a NORC is a naturally occuring retirement community. I did come across it in Lena Dunham's book Famesick when she describes moving into her first apartment in NYC and discovered herself surrounded by oldsters. I really appreciate hearing from you, it adds immensely to the pleasure I get from thinking about and writing the blog. I'm starting this around the middle of July and have10, 000 views from around 30 countrie so fars. Many of them are probably AI trolls fot language of course, but maybe some are actual humas, so I appreciate your interest too, out there wherever you are.
July has brought incredible heat,wild fires, the World Cup and the Toronto Fringe Festival. The Fringe has grown and its auduence has expanded since it emerged 30 years ago, amd I went back this year for the first time since the pandemic. I saw The Improper Identity with the very talented Japanese performer Miho Suzuki who tackles the issue of accents with energy and humour. As English speakers, many of us struggle to understand the many people we meet with accents. The play is a refreshing look at the other side, what it's like to be struggling to be understood. I'll be watching for Miho, she's amazing.
The very next day, I went to see a musical parody of Heated Rivalry,written, produced and directed by Canafian Alan Khiffe. He brought it to Toronto from a successful run off Btoadway, on its way to the Edinburgh Festival. My friend Rhona and I were probably the only people there who hadn't seen the TV series,The whole audience laughed uproariously at every line...us not so much. However, I rejoice in Alan's creation and it was great hearing all the laughter.
We've spent many happy summer times in Nova Scotia in the past, and one of the highlights was always a shopping trip to the various locations of Frenchy's, These stores are legendaryin the Maritimes for good reason, They're unique pioneers in the burgeoning world of thrifting, and the subje.t of a a musical playing at The Ship's Company in Parrsboro. It'll have a run in Dartmouth in the Fall, how Iwould love to see it here!
Seeking solace in the arts has never been more important for all of us, but especially for people with menatal illness. My heart warms when I think of the two peer support groups working quietly to make art forms accessible to folks who may find mainstream events difficult. I've emntioned The Secret Handshake, who feature literary events and art shows in their gallery near Kensington Market. Another, The Friendly Spike Theatre Band, held a reading this week of a new play,The 7th Floor, by Henrik Kartna The group members identify themselves as psychiatric survivor, but they're muh more than that, they're helping make the world a better place for all of us.
I'm a late enrant into podcasts, but I found The Ex Files a couple of months ago and now follow it regularly. I think I mentioned it a while ago, but it's worth a wider pitch. Christiane Amanpour, who lives in London, is a veteran journalist, a foreign correspondent since the early days of CNN with Ted Turner. Jamie Rubin, formerly a foreign affairs expert in several Democrat administrations lives in New York. She's Iranian, he's American .She's ebullient and expressive , he's calm and a bit scholarly. In concersation about current affairs around the world, they often agree but for different reasons. She brings her cultural and professional background to discussions of the current war. He brings an historical perspective from backstage in US politics. They were married for 20 years and divorced 7 years ago.The point they make is that differing views and opinions can be brought forward in a civil discussionn.Take a look, you might like it as much as I do.
And I just discovered another reason to admire Costa Rica...as well as their lack of an army and their environmental responsibility, students must pass an exam in civility in order to graduate from hich school,
On that hopeful note, it's goodbye from Toronto to 35,797 viewers around the world, we'll be back in September, when, as Nat King Colepromises, the falling leaveswill drift by my window.
on
No comments:
Post a Comment