Blog # 130…June, 2022

Wordl…are you one of the millions caught up in its challenges (and chance to exercise your competitive muscle) or maybe you do crosswords, play scrabble or engage with any of the other games, puzzles and brain teasers involving words – they're fun, distracting and reputed to ward off cognitive decline.

Words, words, words!  In the past few years, we’ve imported them - hygge,  schadenfreude and brio from other languages, woke and bespoke from  corners of our own.  And who knew that someone who took a picture of themselves with their mobile phone would coin a word that we hear dozens of times a day? Words change meaning - a thong used to be a rubber sandal coming up between your toes, an app was a shrimp cocktail, coke was a derivative of coal or a fizzy drink and a mouse was – well you get it.  We avoided anything that was viral and rap was what we did on the door.

Iceland has a noun and pronoun for non-binary people. The Inuit have many words for snow but not one for depression…they call it “thinking a lot and crying.”     

If like me, you’re interested in words and language, I bet you’d welcome The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows… sort of a weird title John Koenig chose for his collection of new words for emotions. As he puts it “to capture the delectable subtleties of the human experience…to shine a light on the fundamental strangeness of being a human being.”  Here are some of his creations:

Sonder:  the realization that each random passerby is the main character of their own story, in which you are just an extra in the background.

Kenopsia:  the atmosphere of a place that is usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet.

Des vu: the awareness that this moment will become a memory.

Nemotia:  the fear that you’re utterly powerless to change the world around you…which makes the act of trying to live your own life feel grotesque and self indulgent.

Ironsick:  feeling hollowed out by excessive exposure to modern technology, which is so fast and stimulating that it makes everything else feel drab and messy by comparison…even though your life may be as peaceful and predictable as it’s ever been.

There’s something oddly comforting about having words put to experience,“The tiger named is the tiger tamed” a thought that comes to me from the recesses of memory – there must be a word for that.

Words are also being joined together in new ways…vaccine hesitancy, replacement theory, fake news and a host of others. Then there are the acronyms used by tweeters…LOL, LMK, BTW, BBL, WTF and my favourite, DILLIGAS*- a more nuanced version of whatever.

BIPOC, which I think in Canada should be IBPOC

And those precious, brave, suffering Ukrainians say рашизм to describe their enemy attackers, impossible to translate into English, the closest we can get is a combination of Russian and fascism - ruscism

All these words, phrases, acronyms, in an attempt to capture and understand our turbo world, we'll be back in July with more of them.

*do I look like I give a shit?

5 comments:

  1. Does being addicted to online duplicate bridge count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment...bridge is another realm, beyond my scope, but lots of people love it and I'm glad for them

      Delete
  2. The cornish version of DILLIGAS = NoMadderDoEe !! Spoken not typed 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I recognize a voice from Kuggar and welcome the memory of that phrase I used to share with Norm!

      Delete
  3. A propos your commentary about Indigenous culture, I could easily see myself transitioning to work again in that world; I was speaking just yesterday to an Ojibway acquaintance about my experience of meeting Indigenous business and cultural leaders from across the country at the dinners of the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business. I remarked that regardless of their station in life, and these were invariably unusually accomplished people, which also belies the stereotype, but they were not status conscious. I love those cultures especially that they are based less on egos than on shared stories. In many ways, I worry more about White Conservative culture in Canada and their assimilationist counterparts which to me are somewhat vacuous. I worry less about my Indigenous brothers and sisters because I feel they are one and all on the truer path. I feel that way about other black and brown cultures despite the prejudicial treatment, because to me they are more anchored in their identities and know who they are. Of course that is also a result of lives based less on entitlement and shared assumptions and more on introspection and search for identity within the wider culture. They take much less for granted

    ReplyDelete